Concepts & principes
The net, in France and elsewhere in the world, is under watching. For several technical, social and commercial reasons, here people's and machines' activities are traced and recorded. Oh, it is not quite a bad thing, because those traces are the memory required for software to run and for human to work. However, the technology being neutral, those records can also be used for evil.
Therefore, the LOL has decided to watch the people watching over those being watching them, and opens its Digital Panopticon ("le PaLOLtique" ? :)
So the LOL did setup the LOLog project that consists to present all that we don't see and all that we don't know. All those informations and data that can access informaticians, governments and companies.
The LOL's panopticon purposes is :
- to think about the idea of "private life", "digital trace" and "anonymity"
- to show the informations that we expose when we visit a web site, and to explain what can be done with them
- do to some funny mining with the collected data in order to see what interesting stuff we can extract
Has you understood, the Panopticon is a logged area: everything happening here is captured, stored, analysed and published. Welcome onto another side of the internet.
Elements of LOL's Digital Panopticon
The panopticon relays on several elements:
- panopticon's logs : you too, watch everything happening inside the panopticon
- LOL's complete logs : accessible via the account
panoptique/Oh oui, je veux mettre mes gros doigts dans ton log !, in order to know everything happening on LOL's web site
- the blog about LOLog : perfect for following the project
- LOLog's wiki : to collect and to grow ideas
- the various data processing